Reality of Makeup

I'm back!!

Hello everyone! A massive apology for my absence but life basically got in the way...I seemed to have lost all of my creativity for everything; writing my posts, doing my makeup, and everything in between. But, even though I wasn't doing anything, it gave me time to think about what to write in this blog, and gave me chance to decide on whether to do a separate blog about life in general. 

So, this post is aimed towards the boys, girls, men and women who are interested in getting into makeup. This is going to be a reality of what can happen when you start wearing makeup, or if you're doing it on others. I must warn you, it is a lot of reading, but I'm sure with majority of the world in isolation at the minute, it will give you something to pass the time!!

  I've had an interest in makeup for about 6 years now, and it's one of the best, but worst things I could've done, hopefully you'll understand why in my next points! Over the years, I've had many beauty mistakes, and trust me, I have definitely learnt from them!!

These points aren't in any particular order; they're just things I've experienced, been asked and learnt!

1) "Wow, your eye makeup looks amazing, I wish I could do that"

Without sounding big headed, I receive a lot of compliments on my eye makeup, whether it's just a simple nude look, or I'm looking like a tropical bird. Receiving compliments is amazing, and it honestly builds my confidence every time. But, I hate seeing people's reactions when they say that can't do it themselves, and basically push themselves down. My biggest advice for anyone wanting to do eye makeup is literally just practise!! It's what I tell every single person that asks me about it, or asks me to teach them how to do it! Practise literally makes perfect, and if you don't like what you've done, just remove it and start again- it's as simple as that! 

2) Stains

Something I never knew when I started out using colourful makeup was how bad it actually stains your eyes...if you're wondering, yes I did learn the hard way :) 
Colourful makeup is so beautiful; I love doing it on myself and I love seeing it on others, but the way it stains your eyes is just annoying AF! There have been many times I've been sat at home with rainbow eyelids, with my family giving me strange looks, and don't even get me started on the looks I get when I stupidly decide to have 'no makeup days' and I get stared at like I've got 5 heads. Usually when I take my colourful looks off, I use micellar water on a cotton pad and will just hold them gently against my eyes to try and soak the colours off, but sometimes that doesn't remove it all and I just have to be a parrot for 2 days. 

3) Allergic reactions

This is probably the most obvious of points I will make but sometimes you might not even realise you're having a reaction, until the next day, again, I learnt the hard way. I used 3 new products on my eyes at once- stupid, I know- and I loved the look, it was different and colourful. The products were 2 eyeshadows, same company, but different colours (so different ingredients) and a white mascara. When I first put them on, they felt completely fine, and I didn't feel any reaction, but throughout the day, I noticed that my eyes looked bloodshot, I just thought it was because I was tired. Fast forward to the evening and my mum noticed my eyes were slightly swollen, again, I just thought I was tired. It wasn't until the next morning when I woke up, and I literally couldn't open my eyes from the swelling and the burning sensation. After that day, I haven't used any of the products because I didn't know which one actually caused the reaction.

4) "I wish I could afford that"

This is one of the worst things to come from makeup, because you never realise how much good quality makeup actually costs until you look into it more. Trust me, there is so much makeup and skin care I want, but I literally can't afford it, or justify spending THAT much on a product. But, the best part is that there are so many amazing dupes you can get of a lot of products! When I properly started doing my makeup, I did a lot of researching to find dupes to products I wanted to try but couldn't afford/spend all that money on. I still do this now; even though I am very fortunate to be able to spend more on makeup, I still look for the more affordable options sometimes, just because I don't want to spend loads on something.

5) "Now you're trained to be a makeup artist, I know where I'll be going"

This is one of those comments where, if you are going on to train, are training or you are trained; you could find this SUPER annoying too.
This was said a lot to me when I was in college and after I had completed my course. It's like, yes, I can do makeup for you, and yes, I could do it for your friends, but no, I will not be doing it for free and no,  I will not just come to you with a day notice. 
Also, just because I am trained in makeup artistry doesn't mean I know every single aspect of it, so when you're asking me if I can do a bald cap for Halloween, don't be irritated when I say I can't do it.

6) Following the trend

 A big thing I notice when people do makeup, they instantly try to follow the trend of doing exotic colours, intense contour and highlighting etc. The thing is, if you're already coming out of your comfort zone to do makeup, start off with something natural and simple, just until you become more confident and comfortable with wearing more makeup. But, that doesn't mean you should also feel pressured into following the trend, and you just do whatever is best for you.

7) Colour match 

  If you don't go through the stage of wearing a foundation that's 4 shades too dark for you, then you've never really experienced a true makeup challenge! And if you haven't gone through this, then PLEASE share your secret!!! It took me a long time, and many too dark, and too light, foundations to realise what my ideal shade was, but please don't put yourself down if you buy one that isn't right for you because you can always lighten or darken it to match you better!!

8) "Wow, that's a lot of makeup"

I have had this said to me many times, by family, friends, and even strangers. But I never take any offence to it, I simply say, "Oh I know" or just smile and don't reply. The only reason I don't reply is because I know that the amount I wear can be shocking to some people, especially if they aren't used to seeing a lot on someone's face. But I don't find it rude, or even offensive; what I do find rude is when I hear people talking about me in shops, or even in the street, but again, I just smile and ignore them. The amount of makeup I wear will depend on my mood, my confidence, or if my illness is playing up, and this is why I don't take any offence, because I've learnt not to care what people say when it comes to my makeup!

9) "Can you even see with eyelashes that long?"

I cannot count how many times I've been asked this question. I don't tend to go for the most natural looking lashes, because, in my opinion, what's the point in wearing fake ones, to look natural? My lashes definitely are eye-catching (pun intended 😉), and I'll have someone say something about them everywhere I go; at work, when I'm shopping, stood at the bus stop, in public toilets. Wearing big eyelashes doesn't affect my sight at all, like sometimes you can see like a shadow if they are huge, but personally I'm not affected at all. 

10) Ages of makeup

This point is mostly something I ask myself, like, how long will I wear makeup for? When will I just decide to never wear it again? Will I get to a point where I'm wearing it everyday? I don't know any of these answers, but for now, all I know is I absolutely adore makeup. I love looking at it, testing it out, wearing new products, trying out new looks and, I LOVE buying it!!! 


I hope you've enjoyed this post, and you didn't get too bored reading it 😂
I will definitely be focusing on writing more, so any suggestions would be amazing for future posts!! 

Thank you, and Keep Smiling!! 
xxx

 



+  

Comments

Popular Posts